Funding Options

The three main funding options for domiciliary care services are detailed below.


This page contains a lot of information, click the links to jump to the section you need.

Local Social Services Directorate (Lancashire County Council):

To see if you eligible to receive care from Lancashire County Council you will need to contact them to arrange an assessment. Lancashire County Council follow guidance from The Department of Health called ‘Fair Access to Care Services’ to assess eligibility for care services. This guidance includes eligibility criteria which provide them with a tool by which they can evaluate a person’s needs and the risks to their independence.

These criteria make sure that the limited budget and staff local authorities have is spent on the people who need support most.

The four bands are as follows:

  • Critical – there is an immediate risk of your coming to harm or losing your independence.
  • Substantial – there is a significant risk of your health and wellbeing being affected.
  • Moderate – there is some risk to your health or wellbeing, in the future, or that you might lose your independence.
  • Low – one or two aspects of your daily life are hard for you to manage.

You must also have a need for help because of one or more of the following:

  • Physical disability or difficulty
  • Sensory impairment, such as difficulties with seeing or hearing
  • Learning or cognitive disability or difficulty
  • Mental health needs
  • Problems with drug or alcohol misuse
  • You are suffering from abuse and/or neglect
  • You are over 65 with one of the above difficulties
  • You are a carer which means you provide personal assistance without payment to someone in one of the above categories.

You will only be eligible if the assessment outcome puts your needs at Critical or Substantial.

If you are eligible, then LCC will complete a financial assessment to see how much of a contribution you will need to make towards the cost your domiciliary care. Visit for further information.

If you are eligible to receive domiciliary care it may come in any of the following forms, these are all explained below for you:

  • Social Services Directorate
  • Social Services Vouchers
  • Direct Payments
  • Individual Budgets
  • Broker Scheme

Social Services Directorate:

Your local directorate will complete a support plan with you to decide what services you need. They will then find a domiciliary care agency that is able to provide the package for you. If the agency is Complete Care Services we will follow the steps detailed on the What Happens Next page. Complete Care Services will invoice Lancashire County Council for your care, without you having to worry about it.

Direct Payments:

Direct payments are made by the local council. They’re for people who are assessed as needing help from social services, and prefer to arrange and pay for their own care and support services. This is instead of receiving them directly from the local council.

You must be able to give your consent to receive direct payments. You must be able to manage them even if you need help to do this on a day-to-day basis.

Social Services Voucher Scheme:

Short break vouchers issued by Lancashire County Council can used to pay for care services from Complete Care Services. One voucher can used for one hours care.

Individual Budgets:

You can use your Individual Budgets to purchase care from Complete Care Services. Please see the Individual Budget page for further details.

Broker Scheme:

Complete Care Services provide a broker service to manage any funds given to you by Lancashire County Council to purchase domiciliary care. Please visit the Brokerage page for further details.

Complete Care Services are a Preferred Provider of Lancashire County Council, and accept care packages funded by them. We also accept packages that are part funded by the directorate and the customer.

Primary Care Trust

Care at home paid for by a PCT is called ‘Continuing care’ i.e. ‘continuing’ to be paid by the PCT for a person at home, even after discharge from hospital.

NHS continuing healthcare is free care outside of hospital that is arranged and funded by the NHS. It is only available for people who need ongoing healthcare and meet the eligibility criteria described below. NHS continuing healthcare is sometimes called fully funded NHS care.

Where is care provided?

NHS continuing healthcare can be provided in any setting, including a care home, hospice or the home of the person you look after. If someone in a care home gets NHS continuing healthcare, it will cover their care home fees, including the cost of accommodation, personal care and healthcare costs.

If NHS continuing healthcare is provided in the home of the person, it will cover personal care and healthcare costs. It may also include support for a carer.


To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, the person you look after must be assessed as having a “primary health need” and have a complex medical condition and substantial and ongoing care needs.

Not everyone with a disability or long-term condition will be eligible. The assessment process is outlined below.

Guidance says that the assessment for NHS continuing healthcare should be “person centred”. This means that the person being assessed should be fully involved in the assessment process. They should be kept informed, and have their views about their own needs and support taken into account. Carers will also be consulted where appropriate. A decision about eligibility should usually be made within 28 days of an assessment being carried out.

Complete Care Services accepts care packages funded the local PCT. We follow the procedures outlined on the What Happens Next page. Complete Care Services will invoice the PCT directly.


Self Funding Domiciliary Care:

Self funding customers are those who find our services independently and they or a family member arranges the domiciliary care. Self funding customers pay for the service themselves and usually have no involvement with Social Services.

You can however, add onto to a funded domiciliary care package by paying for a care package yourself. For example Lancashire County Council will no longer pay for a cleaning service, so you may wish to purchase this from us independent of Lancashire County Council.

Self funding customers are invoiced by us every four weeks, with payment expected within 28 days of the issued invoice. 

For an excellent and caring homecare service please call your local CCS office

Rossendale Office

Rated Good by CQC

Read Report

Pendle Office

Rated Good by CQC

Read Report

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This